I’m finally back at the blog after a very long break! Moving sort of puts you in this bubble. For the last few weeks, my entire focus has been on moving. It’s a bubble in which all typical activities are suspended until you feel somewhat settled. As I get closer to settled, I am starting the blog back up with a dish that is great for Spring turning to Summer. At least it feels that way in Texas!
I know Zoodles (zucchini noodles if you’ve been under a rock) had a huge moment, but I still love them. Paired with the right flavors, I truly don’t miss the pasta. Ok, I miss it a little. If you prefer the real deal, this would work with just about any noodle you like. Very few ingredients, and if you are feeling splurgey, buy the pre-made spirals at Whole Foods! It’s worth the time-saver every now and then. This is Whole 30 approved without the corn or cheese, and gluten-free!
- 3/4 lb. mild Italian chicken sausage
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 ear of corn, sliced off the cob
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Parmesan cheese (optional), not included in nutritional info
- Cooking spray
- salt & pepper
- Use a spiralizer or other tool to make your Zoodles. You can also purchase already spiraled zucchini at several stores now, they have many options at Whole Foods. Set aside to let the moisture start coming out. You do not need to wring out excess moisture.
- Turn a large saute pan on medium-high eat, spray with cooking spray (I use cold-pressed avocado oil), add sausage and break apart.
- Add veggies and continue to stir for about 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt & pepper.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and let it have some time to blend flavors. Stir occasionally.
- Add your sauce into a large bowl and set aside while you cook your Zoodles.
- Using the same pan (wipe it down with a paper towel once it's cooled), add 1 teaspoon olive oil and let your pan heat back up, medium-high heat.
- Add your Zoodles to the pan and stir constantly, about 1-2 minutes max.
- Using cooking thongs, add Zoodles to sauce and try to coat them.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese for extra yumminess!